May 20, 2013
EMHI and AB 187!
We are continuing to follow AB 187 (Bonta-Dickinson) as a potential funding source for the Early Mental Health Initiative (EMHI), as well as for a Public Safety Emergency Prevention Fund for municipalities with high crime rates. This bill combined what was originally AB 760 (Dickinson) with AB 187 (Bonta), and would place a 10% tax on ammunition purchased in California, with funding for the two purposes mentioned above.
The bill will be heard Friday, May 24, in the Assembly Appropriations Committee. If it passes from this committee, it will go to a final floor vote where it will require a 2/3 majority. With over 30,000 prison inmates suffering from mental illness, we think it is time to make a serious, long-term investment in proven mental health prevention and early intervention services in schools. AB 187 will accomplish this.
Please click on our Advocacy link today to let your legislators know you support Assembly Bill 187.
Time For Kids is continuing to advocate for support to elementary school children in California. You can Sign up to receive ALERTS from Time For Kids to keep up to date about what is happening.
Please continue to visit the Time For Kids Facebook page and "Like" us! Add your comments, thoughts and ideas. (Click on Facebook button in upper right of this page.)
Mission and Goals
Our mission is to provide leadership, support and advocacy for prevention/early intervention programs which enhance the social, emotional and educational growth of California's elementary school children.
To this end, we will:
- Educate and inform political and educational leaders regarding the need for and positive impacts of prevention/early intervention services
- Advocate for expansion of funding for effective prevention/early intervention services, such as the Primary Intervention Program (PIP) and other research-based programs
- Provide educational support and leadership for effective program implementation
- Provide supplemental funding for locally-funded PIP and other effective early intervention programs through Time For Kids grants
- Disseminate information about prevention/early intervention programs through educational materials developed by Time For Kids